The Best from Pilsen
When we say Pilsen, most of us will think of beer. And it is not suprising as Pilsen provided the world with the famous golden lager, (Pilsner), after which beers of the same type around the world are named. The city with more than 700 years of history, which is reflected in magnificent buildings situated in the historical centre, has changed beyond recognition over recent few years. If you come to Pilsen these days, you will not see a grey and tired city, but a modern gleaming metropolis that has a lot attractions to offer to its visitors. Not coincidentally this city won the title European Capital of Culture for the year 2015.
5 reasons why it is worth visiting Pilsen:
- Pilsner Urquell Brewery and beer directly from the source: As already mentioned in the introduction, Pilsner Urquell Brewery made the city famous around the world. In Pilsen you will have chance to taste the best beer. When visiting the brewery will find out how such a miracle is brewed and then you will understand easily that Pilsen is beer and beer is Pilsen.
- The beautiful historical centre with a lot of cafés and restaurants: The advantage of the Pilsen historical centre is that all important sites are concentrated in one place: the monumental Gothic cathedral with the tallest spire in the Czech Republic, the second biggest Synagogue in Europe, several museums and galleries and a number of beautiful historical buildings. A pleasant stroll through the historical centre may be finished in some of local cafés or restaurants, in summer relaxing directly in the garden with an amazing view of blossoming parks.
- A unique collection of residential interiors designed by a world famous architect: Perhaps only Vienna may boast with more than a dozen achievements of the founder of modern architecture Adolf Loos. Pilsen has managed to open beautiful first-republic apartments with their timeless design and interesting stories for tourists. You can visit four apartments in three organised tours.
- A wide range of cultural events: Pilsen was European Capital of Culture in 2015. Due to obtaining this prestigious title several new cultural places had a chance to be established, for example New Theatre and the creative zone DEPO2015 are among them. During the year, mainly in the season, dozens of events take place in the public spaces. You may choose from the rich programme of traditional events.
- Facilities and attractions for families with children: Pilsen offers entertainment for the whole family. The wide choice of attractive places intended for childern cannot be explored during one day. We are sure if you cannot stay for a longer time, you will definitely want to come back. An all-day programme is offered by Pilsen ZOO with the adjacent DinoPark. A fine afternoon in any weather may be spent in the Techmania Science Centre, or in the Muzeum of Marionettes and Ghosts. The labyrinth of mediaval corridors of Pilsen Historical Underground will provide you with interesting experinces.