Facts about the destination
Pilsen in numbers
- 4 rivers: Pilsen is situated on the confluence of four rivers - Úhlava, Úslava, Mže and Radbuza.
- 170 000 inhabitants: after Prague, Brno, and Ostrava, Pilsen is the fourth biggest city in the Czech Republic.
- 1295: The year when the city of Pilsen was founded by the Czech king Wenceslaus II.
- 15 houses: In the city centre there are 15 houses which were decorated by the sgraffiti of Mikuláš Aleš. Originally the famous painter decorated total number of 19 houses.
- 2015: The year for which Pilsen became the European City of Culture.
- 10 000 m2: The area of the main exhibition hall of the Pilsen science centre Techmania.
- 1307 species: The number of animal species which can be seen in the Zoological and Botanical Garden of the City of Pilsen which belongs among the most visited touristic places in the Czech Republic. The number of species grows continuously.
- 1842: The first brew of the Pilsner Urquell beer. The world-wide known lager has been produced in Pilsen for almost two centuries.