Come to Pilsen for the Liberation Festival in May
There is no other place in the Czech Republic where you could experience the spectacular celebration of the end of the Second World War. Every year, the Liberation Festival in Pilsen commemorates the liberation of the city by the U.S. Army led by general Patton during the first weekend in May. We recommend attending a parade of historical military vehicles called the Convoy of Liberty, meet the veterans, visit military camps and enjoy a rich cultural programme.
To this day, Pilsen remembers the American soldiers with the Liberation Festival, which continues to be attended by American and Belgian veterans in their ripe old age. In the first week of May each year, Pilsen wraps itself in stars and stripes, with convoy of historical military vehicles and dozens of jeeps driving through the streets and the Czech Beer Barrel Polka being played at every turn. The highlight of the festival is the Convoy of Liberty, a parade of historical military vehicles attracting tens of thousands of visitors annually.
Highlights of the Liberation Festival 2019 (May 3rd – 6th)
- The Convoy of Liberty will ride through Pilsen on Sunday Morning (May 5th).
- The main festival scene in the historical centre will host concerts of Čechomor, Hradištan and Jiří Pavlica or Hana Holišová & New Time Orchestra.
- You will be able to observe every-day life of soldiers in historical military camps.
- Together with the Western Allies, we will commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Second Front opening in Normandy in France.
- For updated information go to the website of the Liberation Festival or to Facebook.