Plan a Weekend with your Children in Pilsen
The fact that we still have to wait for lovely spring weather does not mean you should spend your weekends at home. Pilsen, European Capital of Culture for this year, offers a wide range of events which will entertain you during weekends.
Friday (Puppet Museum)
If you get to Pilsen in time on Friday you can enjoy a nice walk into the Puppet Museum which is located directly on the Republic Square. The exhibition is full of puppets of different types and sizes and you are even allowed to play theatre with them.
- We recommend having dinner in the restaurant Slunečnice in Jungmannova Street which provides delicious food in bio quality. Another option for a healthy dinner offers the café restaurant Kačaba where you can taste great whole grain pancakes, desserts and ice-cream in addition to various short-order dishes. Families with smaller children will appreciate particularly a well-equipped children´s corner.
Saturday (Garden 2 exhbition - Walk through city centre - Zoo)
Saturday full of fun can begin by visit of an interactive multimedia exhibition The Garden 2 in the Museum of West Bohemia in Kopeckeho sady. You will find yourself in the middle of a fairy-tale world of the book The Garden which was written by Jiri Trnka, a world-famous Pilsen puppeteer. After the exhibition we recommend enjoying a walk in the green belt of gardens around the historical city centre.
- Don´t you know where to have lunch? The children menu is provided for example by the restaurant U Mansfelda directly in Krizikovo sady. A pizza which is decorated specifically for the younger visitors is offered by the pizzeria Paganini in Rooseveltova Street. No matter if you prefer traditional Czech cuisines or international dishes you will find exactly what you are looking for inour catalogue of restaurants
If the weather stays steady and nice we recommend a visit to the Pilsen Zoo and Botanical Garden. You can see a year-old baby of a rhinoceros Maruška, giraffes, penguins and almost a thousand of another species of more or less exotic animals. In the Lüftnerka farm you can also get familiar with domestic animals. An afternoon snack can be bought directly in the ZOO in the restaurant Kiboko, in the pub of the Lüftnerka farm or in the Siberian log cabin.
How to get to the ZOO? You can go either by car, on foot or by means of public transport. From the city centre go by tram Nr.4 or by bus Nr.41. The journey from the tram stop Sady Pětatřicátníků to the stop Zoologická zahrada (Zoological garden) takes five minutes, then another 10 minutes on foot. If you prefer a longer walk you can walk directly from the city centre along the river via the Kilometrovka alley up to the Zoo.
- Plan B for a rainy afternoon: If the weather is not nice and pleasant you can visit the Slovany Swimming Pool where there are enough tracks for swimming as well as a children´s swimming pool and various water attractions including an 86-metre toboggan. The visit of the swimming pool will be definitely exhausting and the restaurant AQUA provides you with a perfect opportunity to get your energy back. The restaurant focuses on Italian cuisines and it is located in the same building as the swimming pool. Later on you can visit a puppet performance of the Alfa Theatre.
Sunday (Museum of Ghost and Fairy Tales / Historical Underground - Techmania Science Center)
On Sunday morning do not miss the visit of the Museum of Ghosts and Fairy Tales or the Pilsen´s Historical Underground (please note, children are allowed from three years of age). Do not forget to go around the St. Bartholomew´s Cathedral and touch the metal angel which is located on the metal gate on the rear side of the cathedral. Legend has it that touching the angel will fulfil your wish.
For the afternoon we suggest that you walk or use public transport to get to the Techmania Science Center. From the stops in the Americká Street: U Mrakodrapu or U práce it is the easiest way to use trolleybus Nr.15 or 17 (see the map here). The Techmania Science Center provides an interesting programme for children as well as for adults. Children from three years of age can participate in the programme called Small Science. For older children there are many experiments they can run and newly they can shoot their own trailer for an action movie by means of the exposition Filmohraní (Movie Playing) or investigate a crime thanks to The Story behind the Skull. Moreover, the exposition Space and the modern 3D Planetarium are also worth visiting. Nevertheless, for the Planetarium we recommend booking your tickets in advance. As you will see Techmania enables the whole family to have a good time for several hours and if you feel hungry during the visit you can have lunch or snack directly in the area of the science center. The buffet offers ready and short-order meals, warm and cold cuisines and various types of desserts.
Family entrance fee for the individual touristic places:
- Puppet Museum:130 CZK
- Zoo – 2 adults + 2 children: 450 CZK
- Techmania Science Center: 470 CZK (basic ticket to the exposition)
- Exhibition The Garden 2: 100 CZK for adults, 50 CZK for children
- Slovany Swimming Pool: 65 CZK for adults, 45 CZK for children (within the family ticket one child free of charge)
- Museum of Ghosts and Fairy Tales: 220 CZK
- Pilsen´s Historical Underground: 200 CZK (please note, foreign language interpretation for 240 CZK)
- Visit of the Pilsen tower: 125 CZK
We chose several suitable accommodation facilities for you which offer advantageous prices for family rooms (4 people). Hotel Central is located directly in the city centre on the Republic Square, within the walking distance of the city centre there is pension Emma.You can take tram Nr.1 (from the tram stop Bolevecká náves) and travel to the city centre (the tram stop Sady Pětatřicátníků) from the pension K which is located on the northern part of the city. The city of Pilsen offers a wide range of accommodation facilities, a full list of hotels and pensions of various categories can be found in our catalogue of accommodation.
Zdroj foto: Libor Sváček, archiv MCU, Techmania