J. K. Tyl Theatre
Through its work, the J.K. Tyl Theatre, continues the long tradition of theatre in the city. The first play in Pilsen was performed there in 1759. In 1902 the city built a new theatre, designed by architect Antonin Balšánek. The building, in Neo-Renaissance style with rich artistic decoration, is one of the city’s architectural jewels. Four theatre companies include in their programme opera, drama, ballet, operetta as well as musicals. The Tyl Theatre has two permanent venues – The Grand Theatre and Chamber Theatre, the latter focused mainly on drama. Since 1993, the two locations have hosted the “Divadlo” international theatre festival , which has attracted renowned international ensembles to the local stage.
The long and glorious tradition of puppetry is just as much a part of Pilsen as its popular golden brew. Looking into the past, one cannot forget the names of famous puppeteers Karel Novák, Josef Skupa and Jiři Trnka, all of whom are closely associated with the West Bohemian metropolis. The Alfa Theatre is based on this puppet tradition and continues the tradition of the first professional puppet theatre in the former Czechoslovakia – the Pilsen puppet theatre of Professor Skupa as well as the Children’s Theatre, which operated from 1966 in a historic building on today’s Americká avenue. Today, The Alfa Theatre offers performances to audiences of all generations. A wide range of performances begins with classic fairy tales and ends with the poetry of Jacques Prévert. The 15-member group prefers a comedy theatre concept, which provides an unusual form of entertainment to audiences both at home and abroad.